Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Dance in the Rain!

I’m baaaccckkk!  Did you miss me?  Of course you did!  And by you, I mean my mom and 2 friends that read every one of my posts! 

Anyhoo…I spent an amazing fun filled week in Sedona with my husband and son.  Before we left for our vacation my awesome husband gave me a CAMEO for our 10 year anniversary!!!  I was so super excited to get it, but bummed cause I didn’t get a chance to use it before Sedona.   My family did not want to come home because that meant that they had to go back to work and school, but I was thrilled to get home!  Let me tell you…I was itching to get back home to use my new toy!  So today, I will be sharing with you my very 1st project using my Cameo!!! 

After I pulled the Cameo out of the box, downloaded the software, and connected it to my computer, there is only one word to describe the way I felt…INTIMIDATED!  Eek!  I just sat there at my computer looking dumbfounded at the Silhouette program. There were soooo many different buttons and options that I was completely overwhelmed.  So I did what any normal person would do…I eat a bowl of ice cream and read a novel!

The next day, I  decided I needed some encouragement to conquer my Cameo so I hit Pinterest.  There are so many projects on Pinterest made using the Cameo.  Heck, if they can do it, so can I!  Encouragement found! 

 

dance15

I am loving how my pallet turned out!  This saying is so awesome.

       dance2

What was so great about this project was that I only needed a few supplies.  I purchased 1 furring strip from Lowes and cut it into 6 pieces about 15” long.  I did not want them all the same exact length so I varied the length a little on each.  Then I cut a square dowel into 2 pieces about 10” long and 1 piece at 8” long.

dance4

Next I used my Dremel Trio to drill 6 holes in the 2 dowels, which I then hand screwed (yes, I know, totally lame) into each furring strip to hold it all together.  Then attached the smaller dowel to the top and put wall hooks into that.  After everything was attached I stained my pallet.

Ummm…why not just use an electric screwdriver you are wondering?  Well, because ours got ruined by being left outside.  So dumb…I know.  So every project I have done, I have had to use a hand screwdriver.  Let me tell you…it sucked. 

But, don’t you worry about me.  My husband just gave me, yesterday, for my Birthday a Makita Compact Cordless Combo Kit!  NO more killing my arm and back.  In case you missed that little Birthday plug for myself, yesterday was my BIRTHDAY!

dance6

Now onto using my new toy.  I thought that I could just cut my whole saying at one time, slap it onto my pallet, add some paint and voila I would be done!  Right…that SO did not work.  My Cameo did not like that at all.  The vinyl was a disaster.  So, I then did each line by itself.  It worked, but not as great as I thought it would.  Some of the words did not cut all the way through so I used scissors to fix them.  I played around with the different settings and honestly I am not even sure if my blade is in correctly.  I was quite discouraged by it all. 

dance7

Once all the vinyl was cut, I attached it to the pallet.  I thought that the adhesive vinyl would stick to anything, but it did not want to stick to my stained wood.  Anyone else have this problem?  It stayed well enough that I was able to paint, using a stencil brush, the saying onto the pallet.  I had to do three coats of paint.  Once it was dry enough, I removed the vinyl and sanded the words to give it an older look.  This project took way longer than I thought that it would…but I love how it turned out, so it was totally worth it!

dance8

 

dance13

 

dance11

 

dance14

I have realized that I need to play around a lot more with my Cameo to figure out everything it can and can not do.  Hmmm…now what should my next project be???

 

Let’s Party!

Whipperberry    Weekend Bloggy Reading    Photobucket    shabby creek cottage   wednesday's wowzers

      DIY Show Off     Catch a Glimpse Button



 
     Visit thecsiproject.com

12 comments:

  1. I get it now.....at first I thought you got a Cameo as in the vintage jewelery from back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it was a frustrating project! It turned out way cute in the end though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this quote! It turned out incredible. Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this quote and your project turned out GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute!! Absolutely love this quote!! We loved having you join our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Hope to see you next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara--I love your sign! :) You did a fabulous job. I'm not an expert, but I'd be happy to help you in any way I can with your CAMEO. (hint:I use contact paper for stencils, so I don't waste expensive vinyl)
    Great job on your very first project!
    gail
    thanks for sharing at catch as catch can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tara,
    here is a site that has tutorials
    http://www.jessicasprague.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.tabs.tpl&product_id=2176&category_id=70&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=366

    It just takes lots of practice.. I love the sign though you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on a job very well done. I love the way this turned out and the pallet is very clever. I received a Cameo for Christmas and I'm loving it. I wish I had time to use it more often then maybe I wouldn't have to re-learn the process every time. Thanks for sharing. I found you at My Repurposed Life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i had (and still have) the same problem with my silhouette...i have a lot of problems finding the right settings - sometimes it doesn't cut all the way through and sometimes it "snags." it can be frustrating.
    i am excited - i want to do this too!! nice job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this project! Totally going to have to make one...

    Jeanna

    dramaqueenseams.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. love it painted!!! what a wonderful piece of art and love the saying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this!! Just pinned it to make at some point. Thanks!

    Lesley
    byporchlight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete